My Promise as a Writer

I promise to entertain you to the best my twisted little mind can manage. I will take you from the light, and into darkness. I might even let you see the sunrise at the end of the journey, but that I can't promise. My stories will sweep the hair from you brow, leave your stomach in knots, and suck the air from your lungs. But no matter how far we descend, I will offer you a fragment of hope to cling to. I will treat you to dark fantasy, science fiction, horror, and anything that falls into the strange and disturbing. Will we re-emerge into the light? Well, that is the point of taking the journey. I hope you will join me on these adventures.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

11 REASONS WHY I HATE STAR TREK: VOYAGER #10

10. Voyager stole the final three seasons of Enterprise. I know I am in the minority in that I have a great time watching Star Trek: Enterprise. Seeing Starfleet in its infancy was fun and fresh. There was no Federation, but we knew that was going to change as Captain Archer worked to bring stability to the relations of the space faring races. I thought it was a bold and wise move to cast the Vulcans as a flawed and arrogant race still in the process of evolving into the culture we came to know through Spock. The Xindi War in season three was mesmerizing, leaving me to believe the pending Temporal War would supersede all other Star Trek conflicts. The Temporal War was never to be. I was crushed when Enterprise was canceled after four seasons, leaving us to leave us wonder how Archer formed the Federation.

I also loved Archer's Enterprise. The ship was the perfect meld between Zefram Cochrane's first warp vessel, Phoenix, and James T. Kirk's Enterprise NCC-1701. The design department did their job well, leading me to believe they toured Navy museum ships. When comparing the ship from The Original Series to the one under Archer's command it is like comparing a factory fresh Humvee to a Model T. When throwing Picard's Enterprise D into the mix, Archers Enterprise NX-01 looks like a horse drawn buggy. This is how things are suppose to be when writing a prequel series (this is intended for you, George Lucas.) The production team went out of their way to ensure the technology fit with the era, but such hard work failed to be appreciated.




Voyager, however, got a full seven season run (apparently the magic number christened by The Next Generation.) The success of Voyager mystifies me to no end. Sure, Star Trek: Enterprise had its fair share of garbage episodes, but that comprises roughly fifteen episodes of the ninety-eight episode run. Voyager, however aired one hundred seventy-two episodes ranging from laughable to horrendous. Before forming a counter argument, please let me remind you of Paris knocking up Janeway with lizard babies.

Here is a Wiki article detailing what we missed out seeing due to Enterprise's untimely cancellation:

At the time of its cancellation, planning for a proposed fifth season of Enterprise was underway. Most details of this never-made season come from comments made by producer Manny Coto who in 2009 stated that two arcs of this season may have been to show the 'origins of the Federation' and 'whispers of the Romulan war', and consequently, the Romulans would have been the major villains of the season.

Coto also stated that had the series been given a fifth season, the recurring Andorian character of Shran may have joined the Enterprise in an advisory role.

Other possible plans for the season included: an episode showing the construction of the first starbase; a Borg Queen origins story with Alice Krige as a Starfleet medical technician who makes contact with the Borg from Season 2's "Regenration" and becomes the Borg Queen, and a Mirror Universe arc spanning four or five episodes.

There were also hopes for an episode in which T'Pol would finally meet her father and discover that he was in fact a Romulan agent who had posed as a Vulcan officer prior to faking his own death. The revelation that T'Pol was half-Romulan would have shed light on her affinity for humanity and as well as her interest in experimenting with emotions."

I hope that excites you more than anything found in Voyager. Personally, I will never forgive Voyager for stealing the final three seasons of Enterprise. (Yes, I agree the theme song for Voyager is better than the puke inducing disaster we are treated to with Enterprise.)

Reason 1
Reason 2 (Part 1)

Reason 2 (Part 2)

Reason 3

Reason 4 (Part 1)
Reason 4 (Part 2)

Reason 5
Reason 6
Reason 7
Reason 8
Reason 9

Reason 11

Related Links:
A Look at What Could Have Been
Voyager Theme
Enterprise Theme

Author Links:
Shadows Beyond the Flames for the Kindle
Shadows Beyond the Flames for the Nook
J. M. Tresaugue Books
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Pinterest
Independent Author Network

2 comments:

  1. We are still struggling through the first season of Enterprise and may abandon the attempt. The one beat storylines and the lack of character development is wearing on me. Archer is a bureaucrat, not a cowboy. And none of them have a sense of humour. So much earnestness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penni, in that case I recommend skipping to season three.

    ReplyDelete